Tuesday, January 6, 2009

No blood was drawn.

We all survived Lily's first swimming lesson and no sharks were drawn to the area.

I believe it was near 80 degrees this past Saturday, which could actually put one in the mood for some swimming. Not so yesterday. I am not a good photographer, but here is a shot of what was left of the icicles outside the gym yesterday afternoon. Not impressive to those of you who are surrounded by drifts of snow, but to those of us who only get a couple of ice days a year, I was hoping that her first swim lesson being on one of them wasn't a bad omen.

The indoor pool area had to be warmed to at least 90 degrees. They call it temperate, I call it a furnace. And for a mom who was already literally sweating over the lesson anyway, it really prevented me from at least looking calm, cool and collected. I'll be dressing more appropriately next time.

Here is Lily's "Mom, are you sure its time for swimming lessons?" look.

Now she's ready to conquer the water. All three inches of it.


I thought I'd be heading up to the bikes for a little spin and a bird's eye view, but it became apparent that I would be needed for support. My support consisted of telling her that she needed to do everything that the coach asked her to do and that if she cooperated we would go get a hot fudge sundae with lots of whipped cream and a cherry afterward.

I thought I would get some shots of the action, but quickly realized that people will stare down their nose at you for having a camera out in a place where various aged people are in various stages of undress.

So here is a quick non-pictorial description of the half hour that seemed like six.

Within the first five minutes she came running out of the water so fast that she slipped and did a complete wipe out. Tears ensued. Great.

By the time I got her calmed down, the coach was taking the other little student toward the deep end (3 feet...an abyss in Lily's mind) where there were two benches immersed in the water, one at the edge and the other about 8 feet out.

It took everything in me to get her to stand on the bench at the wall. I really felt for her. I was thankful that I hadn't shaved my legs or else I would have just rolled up my pants and gotten in with her. The Lord's provision in the tiniest of things. Leg hair.

She got in!

While the other little boy and her took turns with the coach going back and forth between the two benches, Lily's grasp had to be sucking the air right out of the coach. I was glad I had trimmed and filed her nails. The other little boy progressed to kicks and back floating and all sorts of other maneuvers under the guiding of the coach's arm.

Lily just clung.

Until the last little pass between the benches.

Her progress?

With the encouragement of her coach, she let go. With one hand. And waved to her mama. For like half of a millisecond.

And then she clung again, but her face shone with such pride for releasing that clutch for that solitary moment. She was beaming.

And to me, that was worth the hot fudge sundae folks.

16 comments:

Laura said...

I can't remember if I commented or not that our swimming lessons last year didn't go well, either. Alise still talks about them and talks about not going back. But no matter what, this is one thing that me and her daddy want her to learn to do because daddy can't swim and he knows what it's like to hafta stay in the shallow end while all the other kids are jumping off diving boards and such. Keep the faith, but don't be surprised if it doesn't happen this year.

That hot fudge sundae would go really well with my diet....NOT! But it looks so good!!!

Growin' With It said...

sounds like MAMA deserved the hot fudge sundae most of all! and..

"Now she's ready to conquer the water. All three inches of it."...i did one of those out loud laughs that scare oneself. hilarious.

all in all it sounds like it was a success. and i say snap away on the photos!

Rachelle said...

Glad y'all made it... and blood free no less!!!!! Congrats! Now you made me want a sundae....

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Lily! Kerry: see why I had to leave the premises? Love MOM aka Gramma Jean.

Sara@iSass said...

Way to go Lily! That sundae sure looks tasty.
Oh, mama! She's cute. So on a clae of 1-10 how much did she enjoy it?
Is she asking to do it again?
Way to go Kerry! I'm so glad ya'll made it through...

Jamie said...

Sounds like she made some progress...being able to only clutch with one hand for a brief moment. Hopefully she be comfortable real soon.

Tricia Hoffmann said...

Sundaes make everything better!

Colored With Memories said...

Sorry to be tempting everyone to break their new year's resolutions with that sundae shot. she offered me bite after bite and i only took one...it was good. then she left half of it unfinished. very tempting.

sara-i'd say she enjoyed it on level of a 2, and no, she is not asking to go back.

mom-yes, i have a whole new perspective now!

and i think someone asked yesterday about "mommy and me" type classes...that'd be great, but around here they don't do that at her age.

life with the wisners said...

don't laugh. but i'm crying right now.

you are such a wonderful mom. what a wonderful recap. such pride for your daughter.

3 feet...an abyss in Lily's mind. classic.

what a milestone today. and her mama was there to share in all of her joy.

yay lily.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Kerry, She is so very adorable and I am glad things went well

The Raggedy Girl said...

Lily is so sweet and I can remember long ago swim lessons for our grand daughter where we hired an Olympic Swim Team Member and still all she did was hold that poor girl in a death grip. But she is 17 now and can actually swim so keep trying.
Roberta Anne

Jackie said...

What a milestone. And what a CUTIE. I mean, I've always known she is an absolute doll, but that picture of her in her little bathing suit and wrap...oh my.

And for letting go and waving at her mama, I'd say that sundae was very well deserved. Way to go, Lily!

Unknown said...

good job to the both of you!

i actually shaved yesterday for the swollen ankle check at my o.b. appt. aren't you glad to know that? :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Lily! I am happy that she was able to hurdle the challenges of her first swim. What a brave girl, but you also deserve that ice cream because you were there for her.

Shelby-Grace said...

So glad to hear she did so well! I haven't taken my little one for lessons yet. I'm feeling alot like you, so I'm glad to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel:)

Alana said...

Yum! That hot fudge sundae looks so good! Sorry, I got distracted. My youngest had a similar experience this summer with his lessons...just keep at it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails