Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Preschool has begun...and so has...

the competition. Not between the kids. Of course not. I forgot about the good ol' competition between the mommies. But on day one? I'm a little scared of Lily's new preschool. Or the other mommies at least.

This school has lots of opportunities for mommy involvement. I've already been roped into being Co-Room Mommy, a Box-Top/Campbell's Soup Label Helper, and even some sort of aide to the Prayer Garden. Pulling weeds? Right up my alley.

However my first task of the year was a simple "Decorate Your Child's School Bag" project. Basically it was pitched to me like this:

Here is your child's school bag. One side has the school logo and the other side is blank. Put your child's name on the blank side and maybe a ribbon or a tag so they can identify it easily.

Sounds easy enough to me. I remembered that we had some fabric paint left over from a little project we had made for Lily's Memmy when she turned 60. She uses this bag to carry her crossword puzzles and dictionaries when she travels.

I guess I still had hand prints on the brain, so I traced Lily's hands (my how they've grown since 05/07), wrote her name and added some polka dots. I mentioned to Jerry that I wasn't really sure how it looked, but my mission was accomplished. I wasn't going to spend my entire Labor Day weekend embellishing a simple preschool book bag. Her name was on it and I knew that Lily would be able to identify her bag quickly with the hand prints and polka dots.

Fast forward to this morning. I attempted a few pictures and we were off to school. My attempts didn't go very well.
Here she is being serious. Seriously making mommy work for a smile. Last ditch effort before leaving. Now not just serious, but serious attitude.
Holding back a smile outside her classroom door.
Then she found the Disney princesses in the class. And the smiles flowed freely.

This was mommy's cue to leave.

I went to hang up her bag on my way out. Oh my word. Most of the bags had already been hung. I was embarrassed to hang her lame fabric painted bag along with the others.

Yep. She'll definitely be able to distinguish hers from the others.

Lily's was the only one. Seriously. Even the boy's bags. Hers was the only one that didn't have embellishments, pom-poms, fringe, ribbons, decals, badges, sew on patches, or EMBROIDERY.

I seriously thought about asking if they had an extra bag and making a mad dash to Hobby Lobby. But mommy competition? I'm just not up for it. At least not in this form.

Meet me in the Prayer Garden after class. Lily will have to settle for mommy's mad gardening skillz. Bring it on.


30 comments:

Mommy, Esq. said...

Gotta love it. Last year for Halloween treats I sent walmart gift bags with a couple of tootsie rolls in them and was shocked at all the handmade homemade goodies that came back...some in FABRIC toile bags that were sewn together with monograms on them!!! So for Valentine's I sat up until 2 am decorating cookies and putting them in homemade decorated bags with handmade custom tags...and cursing every moment of it. WHY OH WHY do we do that to each other?????? Just be sure and pray while you're in that garden...pray that you don't have to kill those other Martha Stewart moms! :-)

Unknown said...

Just the thought of all that competition makes me sweat. But her bag is cute. I seriously couldn't even do THAT!

Your comment on my blog cracked me up! Seriously, my first labor really didn't hurt that much. I spent the first 10 hours of it at home. Of course, that whole idea that each delivery gets easier? Not so with me. Luke is lucky he was conceived after how mad I was at Rick during Rachel's delivery!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Love it and sweet photos!

The Sullivan Sitcom said...

All that matters is that Lily liked the bag. Hope she had a great day!

We may be contacting you for any cast advice.

Wilson Family said...

You are hilarious!!! Well I have to tell you that I too pulled out the fabric paint, but Conner and Parker painted the bag, and it by no means is "embellished." It must be your classroom! That is sooo funny! Love the blog!
Oh, and thanks for the e-mail. I will just go and it shouldn't be a big deal since Darin will be home to keep my kiddos.

Sarah Markley said...

I HATE mommy competitions. I can only say that without getting angry.

so sorry you are dealing with that.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

And here I was thinking your bag looked all fancy! My poor kids would've been lucky to get some marker drawings on theirs ;)

Your daughter is adorable :)

R said...

yeah, i'm SO not looking forward to that!

No Chub Club said...

That is why I let Trinity's Ama who is Crafty Galore. There is green fringe and her name on it cut out from fabric. It's not that exciting so I am sure we will be one of the worst. I just keep the mantra in my head of "I work, therefore I buy instead of make". Don't get me wrong, I WANT to do those things but something's gotta give! Too funny. I will let you know how tomorrow goes : )

Carolina Mama said...

You are hilarious! So true! You are smart to not get into that little tango. Just have fun with your sweetie!

I loved the Handprint idea!

Anonymous said...

I my goodness- do I so relate. I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond back to you. I totally remember who you guys are and was so delighted when you left a comment on my blog. I am so enjoying reading your blog and getting a glimpse of your life now. How time flies!!! Good for you for not falling into the pit of competition- and for WHAT? Satisfaction that you have the best bag- sooo lame. :)

Anonymous said...

Suppose to be "Oh my goodness" :)

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I have a little something for you on my blog today (once I get it posted:)

Amanda said...

oh how i HATE the mom-petition. ugh! seriously...why do we do that to others (and ourselves!).

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Happy first Day, Lily, looks like the preschool bug is going around this week!

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

ps Dax's backpack, totally bought on ebay by his Nana!

Sarah M. said...

It has been my experience kids easily begin to take "fancy things" for granted. Keep it simple for her while she doesn't care, then work together on ballancing what is REALLY important later. She may notice things about the other bags she likes, but I seriously doubt she feels cheated. Just think, you are raising her to be a crown if she should marry, not a wife who would sink her husband into a pit of debt. You are a GREAT mom!

12-arrows said...

Having a large family and finally after half of my kids are gone I am realizing that "simple" is the best way to go. I hear you on the "mom competition" front. Its rather ridiculous, and really is it for their kids or is it for their self-gratification? Your bag was adorable! Do what you can, for your daughter and for God, and don't let what you can't do intimidate you. Look how you had a great weekend and didn't stress over "the bag" and probably others spent hours on it and grumbled the entire time! BTW I love your blog, found through Sarah's. Cindy

Michelle said...

Cute post! I LOVE the bag! And your girl is a cutie!!!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Such a fun post! :) So very true - and I am glad to read that you opted against the competetive urge to run to Michaels's... :) The bag was adorable! :)

jennifer said...

funny, funny, funny!

i love how excited she looks to be going to school. don't you just pray that she feels like that for a long, long time?

Nicole - Life in Progress said...

First of all, could she be any cuter? The smile in that last pic is just too much!

And, Memmy's bag? I love that - what a cute idea.

We have some serious Mommy competitions in our community as well, and I try so hard not to get sucked in. But it's HARD isn't it? I'm proud of you for resisting the Hobby Lobby run.

Jackie said...

Oh, girl, I guess this is what I have to look forward to you. I'm gonna follow your example and not get sucked into the whole "who has the cutest stuff". Or at least try not to get sucked in...it's hard! :)

She's PRECIOUS.

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

I know exactly how you feel! This happened to me so many times. Now I know better. Even for projects that should be done "by the child." Tah! Unless the child is Martha Stewart, these projects are all done by the moms. Nuts!

wads and bob said...

ok, that is funny. and I can totally relate. don't give in! the polka dots are perfect :)

Anonymous said...

This happened to me in my daughter's kindergarten class when we had the '100th day' of school project where you're supposed to take 100 popsicle sticks and do 'something' with them. Like build something. So, my daughter wanted to paint them and glue them onto an empty oatmeal container to make a drum. I thought it was so cute. UNTIL I went to school and there were huge park scenes, custom built houses, a carnival scene complete with a popsicle stick ferris wheel...my husband and I were so mad because no way could a 5 year old do these projects. It was the parents competing with eachother!! My daughter actually cried. I was emphatic to her that she did what she was supposed to do, think of a project ON HER OWN.

My2Gs said...

Been missing you around the Blogosphere!! Hope all is well with you and your family.
~ Lacie

Alana said...

Girl...six words for you.

Just say "no".

AND

Let it go.

Seriously, don't get caught up in the trap...it is no good.

Just some friendly advice from a Mommy who is still learning to do both, but realizes the freedom in doing so!

Melissa S. said...

This last post of yours cracked me up! All that's missing is a picture of Lily's bag hanging with the others. Maybe you can take one and post that b/c I'd love to see it! Anyway, I think the bag looks great and it's more creative than anything I could have done for sure. :)

Carolina Mama said...

Missing you. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails