Monday, January 12, 2009

Heelys get her there in time.

Two weeks. TWO WEEKS.

I’ve rehearsed this post so many times in my mind. The post when I could finally exclaim to the world that my little girl has conquered the throne.

We had issues. I say we because it quickly became a family affair. Some of the issues were medical, others behavioral and some were parental. Gulp.

But finally the stars aligned in our favor and it all clicked. I am totally kidding there. What finally happened was the Lord graciously decided to end a difficult trial in our life and we got to buy some princess panties. Not that we hadn’t bought them before, but this time we got to buy them with confidence that they wouldn’t all be ruined by the end of the week.

See this face? See the absolute joy?

That is the picture of my sweet Lily several months back when she finally took our word that poop belonged in the potty. The proof is actually in the picture. Aren’t you glad I’m handy with the cropping software?

Why haven’t I posted the news until now? Well, in my mind I just couldn’t declare her potty trained until we went a full two weeks without any accidents, hesitations, or me having to chase her out of a corner and into the bathroom. I’ve learned through this truly sanctifying process that it takes a long time to break a bad habit.

Her prize? 15 minutes later we were at Journey’s, buying our then 3 year old, Heelys. Keep in mind that back then she had only been out of her arm cast for a few weeks. My mom is a nurse and had to inform me that there is actually a CPT code for Heely accidents. Great. As long as she didn’t break her tail bone, I didn’t care.

She of course wanted to wear them right out of the mall. The looks that we got from people would have been enough, but there were actually verbal comments too. I guess I should explain that they don’t exactly make Heely’s in a toddler size 9. Size 12 are the smallest size made. Thankfully they ran small and we own thick socks, but they still do look a little out of place on a 3 year old girl. Although I thought the pink and brown ones would camouflage a little better than say the skull and cross bone ones, apparently not enough to prevent the comments from coming.

But contrary to all of the unsolicited advice, we haven’t had an ER trip yet, and if being able to skate to the potty gets her there on time, more power to her.

15 comments:

Rachelle said...

Woo Hoo, Lily!

Laura said...

Yeah for Lily!!! And I LOVE the Heelys! Your three year old already has a fashion sense! I love it!!

Christina said...

congrats on finally getting her potty trained! something tells me that you would have bought her anything -- :)

Michelle said...

Yea Lily! And if she can use the Heely's - that's awesome.

Unknown said...

Those are adorable!
I would buy Luke almost anything if he would potty train before this baby gets here. But his older sibs didn't until three and almost four, so I'm not holding my breath.

R said...

good for you!! i know that's such a relief! that's one of the things that scares me about having a boy next...potty training!

Sara@iSass said...

Way to go Lily!! That is a huge step to being a big girl! It took us and Roo a full year! yes, I said year. We brought out the potty when he turned 3...it wasn't until he started preschool this fall that things kicked into high gear...it has been about a month now that he makes poopy in the potty. We still have issues of STOPPING to take time to go or not getting there fast enough...but for the most part we are proud of our big boy.
Don't you just want to pump your fist and say "YES!"

The Raggedy Girl said...

As a babysitting grandma of a 21 month old little girl I can't wait for Lily's success. Better they should fly and fall than never fly at all!
Roberta Anne

Anonymous said...

...and she's off! My son rolls all over the place in his Heeley's. He LOVES them. Congrats on the potty-training.
-FringeGirl

Jackie said...

Lily! Way to go!!! I've been wondering when you were going to post about it...it was worth the wait to see that gorgeous and proud smile. :)

misty said...

that is awesome!

my 5 year old keeps asking for these & everytime we go to the mall he wants to go to journey kids to see the "wheel's" he calls them.

i have put off buying them because he's not quite a size 12... yet. very close, though & he's so excited because the shoes we just bought him were 11 1/2!!!

do you think they are as dangerous as i have heard on the news about them???

Anonymous said...

I love the info on the Heely's but it is a little upsetting that these 3 and 4 year olds are still in diapers. My daughter 1 year 7 months and has been wearing underwear for 2 months with only 3 accidents. Come on parents.

Colored With Memories said...

dear anonymous,
if you are going to make a comment like that on my blog, please put your name to it.

i don't appreciate the tone of your comment b/c you don't know me or the medical history of our child.

yay for your child. but at that age it isn't called "potty-training", it is called "parent-training". did your child suffer from chronic constipation and deinnervation of the rectum? is your child on an assortment of medicines that affect potty training adversely in order to deal with the issues that the above mentioned disorders cause?

i didn't think so. regular readers of my blog know the history of our issues as i bared my soul during this intensely difficult time in our lives. and they celebrated with us in its culmination.

please keep that in mind when you blog hop and occasionally leave comments random anonymous comments.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear she enjoys her skates. I want to get some for my daughter, she'll be 3 at the end of May. The other day at the mall, she saw a little boy and girl fly past on their Heelys, she catches on quick, she lifted her toes, put her heel on the ground and tried to slide. When she didn't get the desired results she bowed her head and said,"I can't do it, Daddy." I can't wait to take her to get a pair so she won't have to say that anymore.

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone

We do not agree with this year BRITs 2010 decision.

Please visit our little poll

http://micropoll.com/t/KDqOnZBCWt

Lady Gaga can not be better than Nina Hagen

Poll supported by BRIT awards 2010 sponsor femmestyle
[url=http://www.femmestyle.ch/schoenheitschirurgie/facelift/index.html]facelift[/url]

BRITs.co.uk - tickets left standing!! This Competition is now closed
OK

Related Posts with Thumbnails