Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Great Potato Invasion of 2008

If you've been reading this blog for any amount of time, you may have heard me use the nickname "Jader-Tater" for our precious Jade who turns ONE next month.

We really can't remember how the name came about, and I'm sure it wouldn't have stuck, but Lily picked up on it...so it shall forever be used and remembered. Lily's little sister is now lovingly called "Jader-Tater" by many.

When thinking of a theme for her 1st birthday party, it only seemed fitting to have a Potato Head Party. Mrs. Potato Head. Cute right? So, I immediately googled Mr. Potato Head to see where I could buy all the goods. Invites. Decorations. Balloons. Paper goods. I think this is the first time ever that Google failed me. None of the results were related to what I needed. I may just be the first person ever...in America, heck...the WORLD...to throw a Potato Head party.

I tossed the idea around to a few people just to make sure I wasn't completely loony in thinking that it was cute. I got the thumbs up...that it was cute...not that I'm loony. So, the party idea stood.

I am really not crafty, so please don't laugh...but these are the invitations I came up with.


I pasted them on to a white card with the invitation information on back.


That was of course after I traced and cut 26 potatoes, 26 feet, 26 white eyes, 26 inner blue eyes, 26 noses, and 26 lips. And in case you're mathematically challenged, I cut out 52 arms too. Those arms...ugh...they were buggers. I eventually got smart and began putting two sheets of paper together to 1/2 my cutting time...because apparently I am challenged in that way and it didn't dawn on me right away to do that. That was after I had cut out some sets of eyelashes too...until I also got smart and decided just to use a black marker for that. I realize they need hats and ears, but even I have my limits.

My new bloggy friend, Jackie, joked about if I was going for the "mother of the year" award when she heard what I was doing. Hardly. And after nursing scissor blisters for the past few days, I should have reconsidered my idea.

Thank God that my neat freak hubby got tired of seeing the paper mess strewn all over our dining room table...he finally grabbed a pair of scissors and joined me. I knew I married him for something good.

So, at the party we'll be eating baked potatoes and BBQ and playing games like "hot potato" and "pin the parts on the potato". We may even have a "potato sack race".

You might just see me at Lowe's tomorrow hunting down an appliance box. I've got a Mrs. Potato Head stand up to make. Who wouldn't want their picture made next to Mrs. Potato Head?

Are you kidding? I'll be first in line. I figure if there is anyone I can look good next to in a picture, it's her.

12 comments:

life with the wisners said...

i'm serious. really? dude, you are one amazing mom. those potatoes? i'm not sure i can stay up much longer because MY hands hurt. just from reading this post.

oh, and the potato play-on-words. i mean, you've got it down to a science.

all because someone gave her the name jader tater?

seriously. and you say you aren't crafty. give me a freaking break. you're making the rest of us look bad.

My2Gs said...

What a cute idea! I love it :) For Gauge's 1st birthday next month we're having a monkey party. I'm always calling him my monkey so I thought it was fitting. I found a monkey cake recipe on the internet and some other cute stuff on martha stewarts website. I'm excited :)
~ Lacie

Christina said...

wow i am impressed! that is super creative. and all the games are perfect! i need some good ideas for makenna's bday.

Unknown said...

That is adorable; you are so creative! Poor Luke, I didn't even have a theme party for him. I'm boring that way. My oldest had a Veggie Tales first birthday, but I've gotten lazy since then!

Anonymous said...

So, you're not creative. Right. Good one. You don't have me fooled!

I'm trying to think of a Kindermusik song about potatoes, and I can't think of one!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

That is fabulous!!! Love it!

Anonymous said...

What a perfect idea! And specific for him. You are very crafty indeed.

Jackie said...

Ok, I was kidding before, but I'm serious now. Mother of the Year, coming right up. :)

Love those invitations. I can't imagine how long that took you. My hand is cramping just thinking about wielding the scissors for that long.

Alana said...

I love the Potato Head party! Such a cute idea! Congrats on your 100th post!

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Those are so cute. :-)

Debbie said...

You are awesome. Have a great tater party.

Jamie said...

This is so cute! I loved doing theme parties for my kids when they were little.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm looking forward to reading more of yours.

Related Posts with Thumbnails