Friday, April 10, 2009

Stained

A few months ago, Jerry did the annual re-staining of the girls' play system out back. I got in the spirit and re-stained a rocker out front. Between the two of us, and the girls, we made quite a mess.

Months later I am still reminded of our staining projects. Stain marks on the swings. Brown streaks on Jerry's work pants. Drips left on the front porch where the newspaper failed. It even tarnished the baby monitor when one of us grabbed it as Jade awoke.

Stain is like my sin. It touches so many things...people...that I don't even intend for it to. The harsh tone I take with the girls. The unkind word spoken to Jerry. The word that I should have left unsaid to my sister. Its affect lasts much longer than the actual act. Reaching further and staying longer than imagined. And even though we clean it up with apologies and try to do better, sometimes the stain remains.

During the month of March, the Bible study that I am apart of studied the book of Exodus. There was much to be pulled from the text, but one thing that kept jumping out at me was how much God HATES sin. Thankfully I usually spend more time amazed about God's grace and mercy and love...than I do wallowing in my shortcomings...but at times I think it is good for me to remember my sin, confess it and remember how much God HATES it.

On this Good Friday, I am so thankful. Thankful that although God hates our sin so much, that he chose to punish Jesus for it instead. Thankful that Jesus not only saved me from my sins, but from the WRATH of a Holy God who cannot stand them.

No longer stained but washed whiter than snow...only by the blood of Jesus.

Forgiven,

11 comments:

Rach@In His Hands said...

Giving thanks with you that the stain of sin has been removed! Praise to the Lamb!

Love the playset - how fun!

Christina said...

that playground looks like so much fun!

Sara@iSass said...

Great post Kerry!
And I have to say the playset looks great!
Thankful here too.

Jackie said...

Kerry - that was beautiful. And I love how you ended it...forgiven. Praising Him for His sacrifice - He is worthy!

Unknown said...

Well said!

Growin' With It said...

what a beautiful analogy! living in okc, i did the staining ritual one summer on the play structure. meeeesssy for sure.

this was a great reminder kerry as i think about tomorrow and where i am at today with the Lord. oh the hope i have...i cannot imagine living this life w/o it!

The Raggedy Girl said...

I just wanted to stop by and wish you a really Blessed Happy Easter.

from Roberta Anne
The Raggedy Girl

Melissa :) said...

Amen! :)

Rachelle said...

Hope you had a great Easter with the girls today. Thanks for making the drive to OK, it was good to see you!

jennifer said...

i love what God teaches us through the little things in life... if we just take the time to pay attention! thanks for the post! hope you had a super easter.

Angela Nazworth said...

Excellent, excellent post---I especially was moved by the line that sin sometimes touches where we do not want it to touch...poignant analogy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails