Friday, February 15, 2008

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah

We sing a lot in this house...I sing a good morning song to each of the girls as they wake and a few good night songs at bedtime as well. They love it! I guess I do this because my mom sang so much with us growing up. My best memories of it were on Sunday mornings as she curled our hair with the curling iron. In fact a few years ago she typed up the lyrics to all the "curling iron songs" for Kelly and I to have. A treasured list for sure! One song that I clearly remember her singing to us was Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...maybe not on Sunday mornings, but probably on Saturday mornings as she was doing housework. I can still see her dancing around us and acting silly in our faces while singing aloud.

I know I've sung this song to Lily many times, but it isn't really a regular around here. However, yesterday when we were in the car, she sang it from start to finish almost perfectly. It was so sweet. A perfect valentine for me...brought me back to my childhood instantly.

Lily sings to herself throughout the day, and when trying to settle down to sleep, but also when she is feeling under pressure. Yesterday we were headed to the doctor and she really didn't want to go. We're having some GI issues with her and she knows the drill by now...a not very fun examination was waiting for her at the doc's office. I had dragged her to the car while she let the entire neighborhood know that she didn't want to go to the doctor! As she settled in though, she started singing...and chose Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah!



I was hoping for a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah sort of appointment, but we ended up with a referral to a Pediatric Gastroenterologist instead. I think I'll just play this video a few more times and hope Mr. Bluebird comes to rest on my shoulder for a while!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails