My dad went in for bypass surgery about an hour ago. He was in good spirits, joking around, and even mooned me purposefully from his hospital gown. He learned that from my grandpa apparently. Dear Lord!
My mom and sis are both waiting on me to type up a recipe for them, so since it is a heart healthy one, I will just post it here...typing it up will help ease my nerves and pass the time until the first update from the surgeon.
I got it from a good friend years ago when she hosted a cooking class at her home. Oh the things we did before we had kids!
Green Bean and Feta Salad
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed (about 4 handfuls)
- 1 small purple onion, finely chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) package crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2) Combine dressing ingredients (olive oil through pepper).
3) Add onion and cheese to dressing.
4) Arrange green beans in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 15 minutes or until crisp-tender. Immediately plunge into cold water to stop the cooking process; drain and pat dry.
5) Add the green beans to the dressing mixture
5) Chill green bean/dressing mixture in fridge for about one hour.
6) Top with roasted walnuts before serving.
It is a super tasty chilled summer salad...one that I plan on bringing over to my dad's once he is home!
My mom tried it on Easter with asparagus and it was super tasty as well...although from the top of my memory I had left out several ingredients! Oops...here it is in its totality, Mom!