Sunday, August 24, 2008

Can we have a Spring Break do-over?

Spring BREAK? More like wake at the crack of dawn, take the child to the potty on one hour intervals, make her sit there long enough hoping something that makes the plop sound will come out, fake excitement when only tee tee arrives, and for your sake that will be the end of the -ake words!

Spring break is over and as you can tell it didn't feel like much of a break at all. Jerry took on a ceiling project at our house and a floor project at the rental house...why we chose to do all of this while trying to wrap up the poopoo phase of Lily's potty training? I'll never know. I guess we just thought...well, we aren't going anywhere, so let's....well it wasn't a good idea. We're whipped now and although the house projects are done (whew!), the princess still ain't pooping on the potty!

Here are some things I learned this week:

1. Lily is not motivated by rewards...not surprise ones, not known ones, not unwrapped staring you in the face ones, not wrapped ones, not food related ones, not party related ones, etc.

2. My daughter does not care about things being taken away either.

3. If my daughter does not have a pull up on...she will poop anyway...wherever she happens to be.

4. She is not shamed by peer pressure...ie other kids noticing a stinky bottom.

5. My daughter will run past 3 bathrooms to find a quiet place to do her business.

6. When watched like a hawk all morning, she will wait until nap time to do the deed.

7. When we took the nap away to be able to better train her, we ALL became grumpy.

8. Potty training without success makes Jerry and I snippy with one another.

9. Lily is obviously NOT ready to poo on the potty.

10. Jerry and I've decided this might be the best tactic yet for not allowing her to date until she is 30...how attractive will she be...still wearing diapers and all?!?

This break coming to a close without having success with Lily has really made me whiny. Can you tell? I know the Lord is trying to teach us through this process, and it has been hard.

***I am on a quick (hopefully, at least) blogging break/potty training sabbatical. In the meantime, I'm posting some fun and some not so fun...okay, none of them were fun, potty training moments.***

This was originally posted March 24, 2008. Five months later we are still trying to figure out what the Lord is trying to teach us through this process...I guess we are slow learners.

Please leave me a comment...I'll still be checking in and keeping up with your blogs too. I just need to refrain from posting right now...I don't need any more poop on my blog.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

ugh...but love how you can bring laughter into even the most stinky of lessons. definitely hoping you are having some success this time around! :)

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

My 3 year old is doing the same thing. I am SERIOUSLY wishing I could send him away and just have somebody to it for me. Suprisingly, I have no takers ;)

Praying there is a miraculous breakthrough for all of us :)

Matt & Kristin said...

When we were doing this w/ Jaimes it took a LONG time! She would only go in a diaper so she'd hold until naptime when she knew she'd be able to go. We took naptime away and sweat it out one day. It was grueling. When it finally happened we made such a big deal about it. Gave her a big gift the first time and then jelly beans the next month or so to encourage it. We got a little scared when she realized that we didn't get these treats when we went :)...but we are far past that stage. Be encouraged.

Marci @Finding Joy in the Journey said...

you are making me more and more thankful that my kids were not as difficult as I thought they could be. I'm gonna start praying now for Finn!

Hope the you know what is hitting the bowl!

Jackie said...

I know this is a re-run from a few months back, so here's hoping that this weekend has been better. Don't stress, girl...she'll get it. She WILL.

Related Posts with Thumbnails