Dear Lily Grace,
Four years ago today, our lives were changed forever.
You were due October 7th, and my induction was scheduled for September 28th. However, the evening of September 23rd, as I was laying on the couch (I've forgotten what those days are like), something just didn't feel right. It was 9:45 PM. I showered, dried my hair and put on full make-up. Why? I'm not sure either. I called the doc and we got to the hospital a little after midnight on Friday, September 24th, 2004. I was already 4cm and after an amazingly easy labor, epidural, and 3 little pushes, you took your first breath at 6:40 AM. You were 6lbs, 3 oz and 19 inches long.
Just like you surprised us and came early then, you've been doing things at your own pace ever since. Sometimes doing things quickly and ahead of the game, and others (potty training) a little behind the curve. Either way, you march to the beat of your own drum and I love that about you.
I'd love to chock this post full of photos, but when you were born honey, mommy and daddy didn't have a digital camera. And mommy's patience for the scanner ended with the two photos you see above.
You'll always be my baby no matter how old you are...and saying that you are just 48 months old today keeps you a little smaller in my mind.
Here are 48 things that I love about you or just want to remember about you in general.
1. I never knew I could love someone so much. More than myself. More than your daddy. Even more than God.
2. It took me a while to realize that last part. That I had made you an idol and mommy had to repent of that.
3. You are much better in God's hands than in mommy's anyway.
4. You had the biggest smile as a baby. You were known for it. It was amazing.
5. You were an early talker. And with all that warming up, you still haven't figured out how to stop.
6. You walked right on time. 5 days after you turned 1 year old.
7. You pretty much hit all your milestones right on time actually.
8. You rolled at 10 weeks.
9. Sat up at 6 months.
10. Crawled at 7 1/2 months.
11. I even have written in your baby book that you sat on the potty at 22 months.
12. Wow, and to think that 26 months later, you are finally getting the hang of it.
13. You have always been a lover of music.
14. You can sing Amazing Grace in better tune and mommy and daddy can.
15. Your first and most favorite song was Twinkle Twinkle Little Star which you sang at 22 months.
16. Then two months later you sang your ABC's.
17. Your first word was "baby".
18. Mommy and daddy still remember exactly how it sounded as you said it.
19. It is on video...somewhere.
20. The first color word you knew was "yellow".
21. In fact, everything was "yellow" for a long time.
22. You are such a good eater.
23. You continue to amaze us with your healthy appetite.
24. Broccoli and edamame are among your all time favorites.
25. You are well traveled.
26. Your first road trip was to Georgia to meet Aunt Sandi and Uncle Scott.
27. You were 8 weeks old and your parents were crazy.
28. With stops for nursing, the 13 hour trip turned into a 20 hour trip.
29. Then 4 weeks later you flew to Wisconsin for your first Christmas.
30. Since then, you've made multiple flights to Florida, Georgia and Wisconsin.
31. I've lost track...I think around 8 roundtrips.
32. You've had 3 fun birthday parties so far.
33. Your first party was at home and the theme was baby barnyard animals.
34. Our neighbor worked at a fancy Dallas bakery and made you an unforgettable cake.
35. I'm sure it would have cost more than mommy and daddy's wedding cake.
36. Your second birthday was also at home. It was an Elmo theme.
37. The letter of the day was "L" and the number of the day was "2".
38. Your third birthday was also celebrated at home with a big Cinderella party.
39. You were quite the princess.
40. This year will be the first year we are giving you a party away from home. You are so excited!
41. And mommy is so relaxed. No house to clean or guests to prepare for.
42. When I think of you today, so many things come to mind.
43. You are such an optimist.
44. You truly believe that daddy can fix ANYTHING, big or small.
45. You have and incredible vocabulary.
46. You've never known a stranger.
47. Your inner beauty matches your outer beauty...brown curly hair, freckles and all.48. And you'll always be my baby, even though you no longer need a nap. OR A DIAPER CHANGE. But that is a whole other post.
Happy Birthday, Lily Grace!
Thanks to the rest of you for letting me get a few details down. Oh to have been a mommy blogger from day one.